Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Emancipation of Mimi

They called it "the return of the voice" months ago before we had even had a single. Talk about hype! Well, I haven't bought a Mariah Carey CD since Butterfly, her last good album in my opinion. Though to be fair, I haven't heard any album in its entirety since Butterfly, but nonetheless, there hasn't been any impetus for me to actually sit down and listen to a whole record from her. I mean, Glitter? Charmbracelet? Rainbow? Come on. She was becoming a parody of herself.

Well, thankfully, that parody is over and she has FINALLY resurfaced with what is definitely her best piece of work since Butterfly and arguably one of her best efforts ever. I got this CD yesterday and haven't stopped listening to it yet. I love most of the tracks and there isn't a single track that I don't at least like. I mean, I even like her collaboration with (gasp) ... Nelly! (And if U didn't know, I can't stand Nelly.) Granted, the one with Nelly is my least favorite one on the album, but you know when the worst song is still good, you have a fucking tight record. Congratulations, Mariah! After a breakdown and several sucky records, you have returned to the throne. The voice is definitely back and she shows off her unbeliavable range with impeccable ease that almost seems impossible. Not to mention some killer songs. My favorite ones so far are We Belong Together, It's Like That, Shake It Off, Say Something, One and Only, Circles, Fly Like a Bird ... damn that's half the cd! See, that's how good it is! Having had my heart broke recently, damn, I can relate so well to a lot of the shit she's talking about. Granted, yes, it's all universal, but the hurt is still fresh 4 me , so shut up! :-)

On a segue here, I don't hurt nearly as much as I did, in fact I don't feel the pain over "the boy" at all anymore, but damn, CDs like this sure make me miss him. I miss him and I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever stop missing him, even though he's in my life still and I see him occasionally.

Mimi, how do I get emancipated from "the boy"?? Maybe if I spin this record a few dozen more times, I'll figure it out. I don't think it's leaving my CD player anytime soon.

"I'm looking 4 my one and only." - Mariah Carey

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home